Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Taking A Little More Time and Staying Connected

Marriage has brought a new spin on life. Things I didn't really expect to change have.
One of the biggest?  
Well, that would be how much more relaxed life feels and how much I appreciate taking time.  I take time drinking my coffee in the morning, I take time doing the things I love, and most of all I take time for myself.  This year I made a promise to myself to slow down and appreciate all the things I have been blessed with in life. 

While Dan was deployed we wrote a lot of letters and we both kept every single one.  After we got married I went through and read every letter (love letter) he ever wrote me.  We had almost 5 years of deployments when all was said and done and reading those letters made me think.  We had to send letters because a lot of the time we couldn't talk, sometimes for weeks.  Those letters I hold dear to my heart.  They are memories that I can read over and over and some of the sweetest things my husband has ever said to me are in those letters.  

It is true what they say, distance does make the heart grow fonder.

So where am I going with all this taking a little more time and staying connected crap?  Well, I can't help but feel like we have lost a little with all this technology.  We have the ability to multitask our days away.  We can keep ourselves occupied all day with our phones, check emails 100 time a day if need be, and never have a real conversation with someone because we text them instead.  

That isn't real life. 

 My point is, that for right now I am making an effort to take time for me and for the people in my life.  I love getting a phone call from a friend, or a card or letter in the mail, and best of all a coffee date.   Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against sending a text or getting an email but sitting down and taking time out of your day to write a letter or make a phone call is something I don't want to lose.  In the bigger picture of life I think we all need to get less caught up in all the "I have to" and take sometime for ourselves and the people we love.   

If I Had My Life To Live Over

"I'd dare to make more mistakes next time.
  I'd relax, I would limber up.
I would be sillier than I have been this trip.
  I would take fewer things seriously.
    I would take more chances.
  
I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers.
  I would eat more ice cream and less beans.
  I would perhaps have more actual troubles, 
    but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.
  
You see, I'm one of those people who live 
  sensibly and sanely hour after hour, 
    day after day.
   
Oh, I've had my moments,
  And if I had it to do over again, 
    I'd have more of them.
  In fact, I'd try to have nothing else.
    Just moments, one after another,
  instead of living so many years ahead of each day.
 
I've been one of those people who never goes anywhere 
  without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat
    and a parachute.
If I had to do it again, I would travel lighter than I have.

If I had my life to live over,
  I would start barefoot earlier in the spring
      and stay that way later in the fall.
  I would go to more dances.
  I would ride more merry-go-rounds.
  I would pick more daisies."

Nadine Stair,
85 years old.


 

3 comments :

  1. And I have been thinking I should do more to embrace technology!
    Lana Clough
    age 56

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mom...you're doing pretty good now that you have upgraded from dial up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Lana, that's awesome! but Rachel, I agree... speaking of that, can we get coffee soon? I miss having more of you in my life!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!