Tuesday, June 12, 2012

DIY // fabric covered wall hangings

When I first moved into our apartment I was quick to pick out paint colors and cover the walls with it.  I never second guessed myself once with what I had chosen.  Not to toot my own horn but the colors I picked out look great.  But now when I am hanging things up on the wall, or making curtains, or throw pillows I can get caught up with, what if it doesn't look good.
It is sad to say that I have lived here almost 9 months {Dan has lived here 6} and there is not a whole lot up on the walls.  We are working on it.  I promise.

Today I am going to show the very first things I made to put on the walls in our bedroom, fabric covered wall hangings.  Our bedroom I painted a light blue so all of the accents in our room {the curtains, the wall hangings, and someday when I find the side table lamps} are all in a darker blue.
So here is a little DIY on how to make these wonderful wall hangings.  You can find more about where I got all the supplies here.
1} Place your blank canvas facedown onto the fabric so you can cut the fabric to the right size.  You want enough fabric to stretch over the edges of the canvas frame so that you can staple it.  Then cut away my friends!

2}  Once you have cut your fabric to the right size and your canvas is still face down; you start to stretch fabric over the frame of the canvas and staple it into place {staple gun makes this very easy but you can use just a regular stapler}.  

3}  Staple all the fabric edges to the canvas frame.  One thing you want to make sure of before you cut and staple is that your fabric design is hitting the canvas straight.  After I stapled all the fabric down to the canvas frame I cut any extra fabric along the edges.   

{Sorry about all the smooching photos of me and the husband, I keep them contained to the bedroom...promise.  Also don't mind the quality of the photos above I took them all on my phone.}
    
Well there you go.  That is the wall art {for now} hanging in our bedroom.  The whole thing was pretty cost effective.  Each wall hanging averaged out to be $8 and only took me about ten minutes to make each one.  The great part about this project is that you can customize it with whatever fabric you choose.

1 comment :

  1. SOOOO adorable! I've been wanting to do this so now I will follow your tutorial!! and NEVER apologize for the adorable photos of you and your hubby kissing. Seriously so sweet and wonderful...gotta celebrate that love!!! Thanks for sharing Rachel!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!