Thursday, July 12, 2012

bar harbor: fear and God

Dan and I drove 5 maybe 6 hours to Bar Harbor after Sara and Tim's wedding.  It sounds like a long time but as long as I have a coffee in hand and my husband to talk with, the ride isn't so bad.  Once we got to Acadia and set up camp {literally}, Dan had mapped out our week of activities and on that itinerary were two pretty big deal hikes.  
Now there is one thing I should tell you, I have a huge fear of heights {I talked a little about it here}.  My husband is well aware of this because the last time we were in Bar Harbor we hiked Jordan's Cliffs and halfway through and had a melt down.  In my defense its not called Jordan's CLIFFS for nothing.  I got to one of those cliffs and froze.  Dan renamed that cliff Rachel's Ledge.  Kinda catchy, huh?
So Dan had us hiking an easier trail before we attempted Jordan's Cliffs once again.  We set out and hiked the Beehive {our warm up hike...ya right!} which, let me tell you my friends, this hike is literally iron bars stuck in the side of the mountain so you have something to hold onto.  Not really my cup of tea.  But once we got to the top and I was so glad I had done it.  
{As fearful as I was hiking it didn't stop me from taking photos}
 {We made it to the top}

I was feeling pretty confident that I could conquer Jordan's Cliffs.  So the next day we headed out and started our hike.  We were going along quite smoothly until we got to Rahel's Ledge..and there it was, fear.  Fear is a funny thing.  I have had fear my whole life; fear of not being good enough, fear of being wrong, fear of regret, fear of loss, fear of love, fear of tangible things.  When I really think about it, most of my achievements and bold moves were brought on by wanting to overcome some type of fear.  Where would I be without it?  Maybe not hiking on cliffs...who knows.  What I came to peace with on Jordan's Cliffs was that there is always a balance between the oh so comfortable and the fearful in life.  Fear has the ability to make you grow and strive for things that you otherwise may have missed.  I always thought of fear as something that would hold me back but I am learning to embrace it.  I am learning to use it as a stepping stone and open myself up to possibilities, incredible blessings, and living my life fully. 
{And here we are on Rachel's Ledge.  I wouldn't let go of the side of the mountain.}
{Here is Dan on Rachel's Ledge trying to capture what we walked across.  There was no way I was joining him.}
{Just another cliff to walk over....no. big. deal.}
 {See that little iron bar there?  Well that's is what helped pull us up on to this ledge.}
There was no crying {well almost once}, no meltdowns, and I made it to the top.  Have you ever been on the top of a mountain?  It is breathtaking.
 We sat on the top of that mountain and I thought a lot about God.  
 That beautiful landscape laid out in front of me spoke for itself.  God spoke for Himself.  It was one of those moments where you just can't seem to pull yourself out of it because you are in such awe.  God created all that out there for us to marvel and enjoy.  It is hard not to be thankful in moments like these.  Up there on that mountain with my sweet hubby left me only want more from life.  And out of all that fear a comfort settled in my heart that I would be getting just that.

2 comments :

  1. proud of you for doing that hike again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach!!! this pictures are amazing...seriously breathtaking. It makes me want to come to New England in the summer (for some weird reason i've only been in winter when I've frozen my butt off!!) And I LOVE what you wrote...those still moments where God just speaks for himself. So much awe! love it, thanks for sharing! love Katie

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!