Monday, August 6, 2012

red sangria


I am a sangria fan and I will tell you why; I LOVE having treats in my drink.  When I have a cocktail,  it better have some fruit or an olive in it.  I mean what's the point of having a drink if you can't snack at the same time?  I read over a million recipes {there are a lot of recipes for sangria out there} and finally came up with my own delicious recipe.

Red Sangria {serves 6}:
~ 1 bottle of red wine {750 mL}
~ 1/2 cup of gin*
~ 1/2 cup of triple sec
~ 1/4 cup of orange juice
~ fruit
~ sweetener to taste

* you can substitute gin with any other kind of hard alcohol or skip it if you wish

I start by rinsing and cutting up all the fruit.  I usually use apples, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, oranges, lemons, and limes.  Use as much fruit as you want, I use a lot.  Place the cut fruit in a bowl and sprinkle a little sugar {or another sweetener} over the fruit.  Let the fruit sit while you mix the rest of the sangria.  Pour the wine, gin, triple sec, and orange juice {fresh squeezed is the best!} into a pitcher.  Mix liquid and then add your fruit, juice and all.  Sangria is best served cold and once it has sat for about 12 hours.  Pour into glass and garnish with an orange slice.

Enjoy!

1 comment :

I always love hearing from you!