Friday, October 26, 2012

DIY : picture frame tray

I have been on a real tray kick lately.  We have one on our coffee table, I have one on my nightstand, and now there is one in our dining room.  I was searching high and low for the perfect tray to display our bar essentials.  When I couldn't find one I decided to make my own using a picture frame that was collecting dust without a photo in it.



So here is your how to:

Choose a picture frame you want to use.  Obviously there are a million options depending on how big you want your tray, what color, and so on.  Then hit up the craft store for some decorative paper.  I went here and bought a white textured paper for the tray I made.  But again the sky is the limit!  You could use fabric, scraps of wallpaper or wrapping paper. The picture frame I used already had handles on it but you may want to pick up two matching drawer pulls to attach as handles.

Next I removed the glass and paper insert from my frame and used that as a pattern to cut my decorative paper with.  This way I knew the paper would fit perfectly into the frame I was using.  If you are planning on painting the frame do it now while the glass is out.  When your frame is ready you simply place the decorative paper in the frame under the glass like you would a photo and attach the back.  Then attach your drawer pulls on the short side of the frame for handles. 

Here are a few resources for step by step picture instructions that you may find helpful.

Lemon Tree Creations
Better Homes and Gardens

  
It fits just perfect on our bar don't you think?  
Happy weekend!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you!