Tuesday, January 22, 2013

after the holiday detox

This post is coming a little late, I should have done this closer to the holiday but better late than never.  Anyway, over the holiday and after a few to many girl's nights I came up with a sure fire way to detox and get back on track after overindulging.  Whether it is one too many glasses of wine, a little too much food, or a lack of sleep {my husband calls this too much birthday after the Berenstain Bears book} these tips will help you feeling yourself again in no time.


Drink lots and lots of water.  I know this seems like a no brainer but sometimes it is hard to down 8 cups of H2O when your not feeling 100%.  Making sure you drink a whole bunch of water will help flush out your body leaving you feeling refreshed.  And if you want to get an extra bit of detox try drinking a few cups of hot water with lemon in it.  Adding lemon to your water helps flush your system even faster plus it adds some vitamin C to boost your immune system. 

Make sure you get enough sleep.  This is a hard one for me because I like to wake up and get my day going but getting some shut eye after a long night makes a world of difference.  If I don't get to sleep in I try and take a nap during the day or at least get to bed early the next night.  Your whole body is able to recover while your sleeping so its pretty key to getting back on track.

Get yourself some antioxidants.  Along with drinking lots of water having a cup of green tea will boost your immune system and give you some energy.  I know coffee always seems like the best choice when your feeling run down but green tea is a lot gentler on your system.  Not a big tea drinker?  Well berries, especially blueberries, are high in antioxidants and adding these to your diet the day after a big old party will leave you feeling wonderful!

Fill up on greens.  Overloading your system with vitamins and nutrients found in green veggies will give your body just what it needs to revamp after you have decided to indulge with your party pants on.
If you have a juicer try making this green juice:
1 green apple
1 cucumber
2 stocks of celery
1 cup of spinach
1 cup of kale
1 carrot
1/2 of a lemon

No juicer?  Well steam yourself some veggies or make a huge salad.  Not only is it good for you your liver will thank you as well.

Take a detox bath.  Taking a bath is one of my favorite things and by adding a few ingredients to your tub you can make it part of your detox.  Fill your bathtub with hot water and add 1 cup of Epsom salts, 1/4 cup of sea salt, 1/4 cup of baking soda and a few drops of lavender essential oil.  This soak will pull out all kinds of toxins {especially after drinking}.  Plus it gives you some time to relax and catch up on a good book.

These few things I swear by when I find myself run down after a stressful week or one too many drinks.  I hope this helps you the next time you feel the need for a little detox.
Remember always take the time to take care of yourself. 

1 comment :

  1. Just found your blog.. I am so excited to keep reading!!
    Let's be blogger friends. :)

    Haley

    lovehaleyj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!