Friday, February 1, 2013

naked yoga // just another funny story


When I was in junior high my mom brought my brother and I shopping for a birthday present for my grandmother's upcoming birthday.  We were browsing through the VHS section in a record/music store in the mall because my grandmother had wanted to start doing yoga in the comfort of her own home.  So we started looking through all the yoga videos to find just the right one.  and what did my brother and I stumble across?  well of course the only naked yoga video on the shelf.  The giggles took over and I think by the time my mom figured out what we had found we were rolling on the floor laughing. 

Now at the ripe young age of 13 the Fabio looking character on the front cover of this video was forever imprinted in my brain, as well the look on my mother's face that soon had her laughing in the middle of the video store.  I remember thinking people do this? Strip down and strike a pose?  We convinced my mom to buy the video for my grandmother {as a joke of course} and a few others....or at least I thought.

A few years ago my grandmother sadly passed and after her memorial service we all got together and spoke of kind memories and poured over photo albums.  I mentioned how sassy I thought grandmother was for rocking the naked yoga as a senior citizen.  Which was true...more power to you gram!  But everyone sort of just stared wide eyed at me trying to wrap their minds around why gram would be participating in such an exercise .  That was until my mom said, "What are you talking about?!"

At that, I recounted my memory of the video store and how I swore up and down my mom bought my grandmother the naked yoga VHS.  Well my whole family was laughing so hard there were tears and I realized my memory had done me wrong.  I had spent years thinking my grandmother was keeping fit with naked yoga.

My grandmother was one of my favorite people in the world and I am often reminded of her.  So when I came across an article about how naked yoga is making a come back I couldn't help but smile.  And yes it is totally a real thing....its all the rage these days!  Oh gram, I don't care what anyone says, I am pretty sure doing yoga in the buff would have totally been your thing.

Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment :

I always love hearing from you!