Thursday, February 28, 2013

yoga and weight loss

{throw back Thursday // yoga teacher training}

I wanted to touch on something that I get asked about all the time as a yoga instructor.  Does yoga promote weight loss?  I get emails from both my students and readers about it and the simple answer is yes it most certainly does.  But I am just not a simple answer kind of girl, so let me explain.

In a nutshell, yoga promotes an healthy lifestyle overall, like any continued physical activity will do.  I know so many of us are looking for the secret to losing weight but the truth is you have to put in the time and effort to be in the shape you want to be in.  There is no easy way around it {except good genes}.  But even if you find yourself not losing weight doing yoga I can guarantee that it will improve your flexibility, strength, metabolism, posture {strengthening your core and back}, and most importantly relieve stress.  Since teaching more classes at the start of this year my own body has changed completely.  Have I lost weight?  Who knows...I don't weigh myself but I do know I look better, feel better, and I have increased strength.

I practice and teach power yoga {a sometimes heated practice} which is a more vigorous style of yoga.  It concentrates on core, strength, balance, and breath with movement.  On top of all the benefits I already spoke about, yoga gives you long lean muscles using low impact movements.  But like anything else the harder you work the more results your going to see.
Most practices allow you room for modification. This way you can challenge yourself while someone else in the same class can take it down a level. 

My husband thought this whole yoga thing was for the birds.  I think he even suggested at one point that it looked too easy.  I finally convinced him to take one of my classes to see what all this yoga talk was about.  My husband is in really good shape but he even told me after how surprisingly hard it was and how he didn't expect it to be such a workout.  He was soaked in sweat and sore the next day.   He promptly returned to my class on multiple occasions because it is such a good workout

Yoga has a multitude of benefits, one being weight loss but you need to find what works for you.  I think taking a yoga class regularly and having a healthy diet will put your body right where it needs to be.  It will work out your entire body and taking challenging classes will change your body for the better.  If your looking for weight loss in yoga I suggest a style that focuses on core and vigorous movements that will increase your heart rate.  Heated yoga classes are always a plus.  The added heat and humidity will make you sweat which releases toxins and make the poses more difficult, therefore raising your heart rate. 

Being a huge fan {and instructor} of yoga I really urge you to give it a try and you will see amazing benefits to adding it to your workout regime. 

For more info on styles of yoga check this out.


1 comment :

  1. Okay you have convinced me! Now to find a yoga for pregnancy dvd..:)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!