Thursday, January 30, 2014

a long weekend in Montreal


 {if you ever find yourself in Montreal, make sure you get a sandwich at Schwartz's deli....oh and get a pickle and coleslaw too!}

Just a week ago Dan and I found ourselves in chilly Montreal for a long weekend.  A perfect winter getaway that required our warmest socks and plenty of hot coffee.  We headed north and didn't stop until we crossed the border.  It was exciting...at least for me.  Dan said I acted a bit paranoid when border patrol started asking me questions about what was in our car.  And yes I was kind of nervous crossing the border for no good reason.   Though I did picture myself stepping on the gas and busting through the border like a renegade on the run.  What can I say?  I have a wild imagination.

A side note - this was the lightest I have ever packed.  I usually bring just about one of everything, you know, just in case?  I have at least two bags when I am just going to my parents house for the weekend.  Mostly because I'm crazy.  But the times they are a changing and this whole packing only what you need thing feels liberating....maybe not the right word, but you get my drift.
  I am turning over a new leaf dear friends.

We spent the weekend eating in good food and drinking wine.  We slept in every.single.morning and then had brunch and sipped coffee until we were brave enough to head outside.  We ice skated at Parc La Fontaine and we spent a lot of time walking the great city of Montreal.  Despite the cold temperatures, everyone was out and about so we figured we would park the car and join them.  The cold forced me to wear leggings under my skinny jeans.  Not the best move when you have to pee because you drank coffee until noon but it kept me warm.  We even made time to see a movie....I don't know the last time that happened.  We visited some of Dan's family and had dinner with a dear friend in Burlington, VT on our way home.

The weekend was just what we both need to recharge and rest.  We went there without a plan {that's usually how I travel, I feel like it leaves room for a little adventure} and it was delightful.  Yes, that is definitely the only word to describe it, delightful.  And can I just say that the people of Montreal were so polite and always willing to make small talk or give us directions.  Plus the food service was quick.  You got your food in like five minutes and they always apologized about the long wait.  If any of you New Englanders are looking for a place for a long weekend I highly suggest heading for the border.  We are already planning a trip back in the summer and I can't wait to see Montreal in the warmer weather!

1 comment :

  1. glad you guys had fun!! I want to go ice skating... and out to dinner in Burlington!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!