Wednesday, January 22, 2014

healthy living // clean eating

Oh nutrition...I am such a believer in good nutrition.  I believe that what you put into {and onto...but that's for another day} your body makes such a difference.  The cleaner and cleaner my diet gets the better I look, the better I feel, and the happier I am.  I am still amazed by how much the food I eat impacts my energy level, mood, focus, etc.  It's got to be one of the most important things to living healthy and if you only take away one thing from this series, let it be a focus on a healthy diet.

Nutrition has grown to be a passion of mine and I hope to find myself back in school to become a registered dietician very soon {again a topic for another day}.  So when Dan and I started to tackle this idea of living the healthiest life we could, the first thing we did was took a nutrition class.  Taking a class is just what we needed to really understand how to eat right.  The class was science based and focused on clean, organic eating.  For anyone that really wants to understand how your body works on food, I highly recommend finding a class to take.

I am not one for diets and I probably never will be but these days I do make sure the food I eat is clean.  What does that mean exactly?  Well, eating the simplest form of food.  No processed food, no added sugar, no chemicals {aka things you can't pronounce of the nutrition label.}, and organic/local food.  I stick to a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, clean starches, and of course healthy fats.  I include all four of those things in every meal I eat.

After taking this class we did a whole kitchen overhaul.  We cleaned out the cupboards, the fridge, and the pantry.  We checked expiration dates and quality of everything we were planning on keeping {mostly baking staples} and the food that wasn't on our clean eating list we donated to a local food pantry.  We also cleaned along the way which helped create a good atmosphere for this healthy change.  Once the kitchen overhaul was done we put together a big old grocery list.

Dairy:
milk {skim or 1%, rBGH free}
2% Chobani of Stonyfield Greek yogurt
eggs {cage free, no antibiotics/hormone}
sharp cheddar

Protein:
chicken {boneless, skinless, antibiotic/hormone-free}
turkey {oven roasted}
fish {cold water, white fish, avoid anything farm raised}
black beans
kidney beans
almonds
walnuts
Teddy's peanut butter
hummus

Starches:
quaker old fashioned oats
bob's red mill muesli
barbers shredded wheat
brown basmati rice
long-grain wild rice
 quinoa
sweet potatoes
whole wheat bread {usually from a local baker or when pigs fly}

Veggies:
broccoli
spinach
kale
spring mix
onion
carrots
avocado
asparagus
butternut squash
cucumber

Fruit:
berries
bananas
lemons
apples
grapefruit
assorted frozen organic fruit for smoothies

Fats:
extra virgin olive oil
coconut oil

Herbs and Spices:
garlic
dill
curry
basil
rosemary
thyme
sea salt
turmeric
cumin
pepper

 Above is our typical grocery list from week to week.  It does change but these are most of the staples we keep in the house.  We typically grocery shop 2-3 times a week to make sure we always have fresh produce.  And speaking of produce, we typically buy what's in season and what is local, so it changes from season to season.  Everything above we buy organic {or local} and we make sure we read the nutrition labels on all the foods we buy. 

Just a few more things and then I will stop, like I said I have a bit of a passion for this.  Things you want to try to avoid - soy, corn, and sugar.  All of these have been overproduced in the USA and are added as fillers or have been stripped of all good nutrients.  Wheat is another one you want to be aware of, you want it to be whole organic wheat.  Try to avoid anything fat free.  Your body doesn't always know what to do with food that have been stripped of their fat and other nutrients.  Shoot for low fat or full fat.  Don't let fat scare you....healthy fat can be a very, very, very good thing.

Questions/comments/suggestions please let me know!

3 comments :

  1. I am a food and nutrition senior working towards becoming a registered dietitian and i LOVE IT! if food is something you're passionate about you should definitely pursue it. i couldn't imagine myself going to school for anything else!

    www.clariscookbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also adore nutrition and consider myself quite a food nerd! I graduated from IIN in Feb 2012 and I loved it. I learned so much about the Holistic side of things and have fully embraced a Holistic Lifestyle. I've also thought about pursuing a Dietetic degree, but I'm concerned about the mainstream thought process and don't really embrace the whole standard food pyramid. I'm a big believe in Intuitive Eating and Bio-individuality! It looks like you are off to a great start with your new clean eating habits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Rachel! Looking forward to reading more of them! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you!